So, the good news is that my laptop is up and running again despite Apple designing their software to be too user-friendly to actually work (it's cute when it's PhotoBooth. Less so when it's 10,000 of my photos).
The bad news is that my attempts at making a circuit board were complete failures. See results below:
So, my attempt at make home-brew etchant before was a miserable failure, but I think I've found the solution:
When you feel like doing some really rapid prototyping and don't want to wait around for a board to come in the mail, you usually have to print a board of your own. I've done this a number of times (the original bullet counter was a home-printed board).
The whole process has a number of steps (which I will be going into in another post), but one of them involves printing an acid-resistant substance on a copper sheet and dissolving the un-coated copper in an acid. As I have mentioned earlier, I had some really crummy ferric chloride acid that didn't do a very good job of etching my boards. I would usually end up sitting around for an hour or so waiting for it to etch only to have the etchant start to eat under my etch-resist while other free portions were still un-dissolved.
Ferric chloride is also kind of pricey, so I decided to try my hand at some home-brew etchant. I found a recipe online that calls for just two ingredients:
Muriatic Acid (HCL) and Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2)